Stet by Ria Bacon

Monday, November 15, 2004

A wall of vinyl

Helium Music Manager is a music tagger, renamer, cataloger, player, playlist manager, burner, and report creator. It can catalog and edit the most common audio-file formats (including MP3, OGG, and WMA) as well as regular music CDs. Helium fully supports the latest tagging standards, including ID3 v1, ID3 v2, APE2, and Lyrics3. You can catalog your entire music-CD or audio-file collection with a few clicks, whether it's stored on your computer, on CD-ROMs, or on network drives or any other media. Helium facilitates the structuring and
finding of your favorite music.


Uh, what about my '78s? (see Not the Nine O'clock News sketch) I don't actually have any '78s, although I do have a 10" Motorhead ep, along with 700 lps. I got tired of not being able to find an album in the middle of a conversation ("If you like that, I've got the original 12" version here ... somewhere."). I've dragged them from country to country so I know what 700 lps looks like when not stacked neatly. Still, I felt pretty daunted when I started stacking them into alphabetical piles. I skipped all the existential wrangling about ordering them (by genre, solo female Brazilian artist, etc.) and went for straight alphabetical. It was quite impressive how the classifying sometimes had to go to the fourth letter in the name.

They look verrry neat all lined up the whole length of the wall. Pity the towering stacks of CDs on the floor block the view.