Stet by Ria Bacon

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Born Slippy

Perhaps this Underworld title is a better description of Silvio Berlusconi's true nature, rather than the love songs that he wrote in 2003. Example from Col cuore in gola:
With my heart in my mouth
Because your love is everything to me
I know you may make me suffer
But I'll never let you go
Even if I have to fight
I will love you until the end.
(Note the persecution complex; more below)

Another more appropriate song might be one of my children's favourites from nursery,
Slippery fish, slippery fish,
Splashing in the water.

At which point I come to the reason for this post. I see that in eight out of the twelve trials in which Berlusconi has been directly accused, the statute of limitations expired before the final sentence was due.

For what it's worth, the short cavalier (trivia note: he collects statues of Napoleon) climbed 15 places to number 30 in Forbes' list of the world's richest people in 2004 . Forbes allows you to "track this person"; another example of new technology leading to irrelevance. Why would I want to track Berlusconi's ranking among the world's richest people? Just because we can do it doesn't mean we should.

Slippery fish, slippery fish,
GULP GULP GULP!
OH NO! he was eaten by a octopus!



Link